Friday 24 July 2009

Strawberries

Yesterday I drove 6 miles to Holly Farm, Stutton in Suffolk. It is about half way between Manningtree and Ipswich.

I picked 10 lbs of Strawberries.









I used 4 LB of these strawberries to make wine.
After washing and removing the hulls I hand squashed them into a streralized bucket. Added the zest and juice of a lemon and 6 pints of boiling water and 2 1/4 lbs of sugar. Later when it had cooled I added a crushed campden tablet and 1 tsp of pectic enzyme. This is left for 24 hours, when the yeast and yeast nurtrient is added. The "must" as it is now called is stirred twice a day for one week.


I also started some strawberry cordial. In June I had made Elderflower cordial and Strawberry and Rhubarb cordial. These were lovely diluted with some fizzy water. I put some of the Elderflower in plastic bottles and froze them for later in the year, but we drank all the rest.

I have not made this recipie before so a bit of an experiment.

Strawberry Cordial -

put 900g of sugar in a steralized bucket and add 500 ml of boiling water, stir until disolved. add 500g of washed hand crushed strawberries and one sliced lemon. Add 40 g of citric acid. Cover and leave in a cool place for 4 days, strain and bottle.

I also made some strawberry shortcakes and have a load of strawberries left for just eating!!



1 comment:

alice said...

mmmmm strawberry shortcakes