Sunday 23 August 2009

Weekend


The weekend is almost over, a few short days until Alice goes off on her travels and a week until I go back to work.

Alice will leave on Thursday morning to do a six month work placement in Germany. She is so excited and so am I, but I am going to miss her so much.

This is a photo of some annual climbing plants, called Blackeye Susan that I have grown for the first time this year. I planted them in tubs and grown them up some canes.

This weekend I went to the market and they had a good price for plums so I bought 6 pounds to make into wine. I started it off this morning by cutting each one in half, removing the stone and then squashing them by hand - that was fun. Then they were covered with boiling water and left for 48 hours.

Someone I know said he had some Elderberry bushes and that I could go and pick. They were laden with ripe fruit. We picked two large carrier bags full, and after spending hours taking them off the stalks ended up with 7 pounds, which is great. I will be able to make 4 different lots of wine with them. I have put them in the freezer for now, as I don't have the right sort of yeast.

This morning I also racked the strawberry wine and made some fishcakes and froze them. They will be ready for quick dinners when I get back to work

No comments: