Saturday 16 January 2010

Marmalade and driving

Well look who's passed his driving test!

Yes, this morning Jared passed first time. I don't think that I am going to see much of my car for a bit!


January is Marmalade time. I spotted some Seville oranges in Hall Farm Shop when we went in the week and bought a kilo. Last night these were scrubbed, juiced and the white cut off the peel. The peel was then shredded and added to the juice, with the juice of a lemon too. The pips and white stuff and lemon peel was tied up in a bit of muslin and put in the juice. This was left over night.
Today, I simmered the juice, with the muslin bag in it for one hour. Then all the goo from the bag was squeezed out and added to the juice. The contents of the muslin are the put in the compost bin. 2KG of sugar is added to the pan, dissolved and then boil for 20 minutes and then another 20 minutes until the marmalade reaches setting point.
Then poured into jars and left to cool, later I will label it and then try some for breakfast.
Marmalade making is a lovely way to spend a cold wet winter Saturday!

No comments: