Thursday 28 October 2010

CUTTING THE CHEMICALS

A couple of years ago I decided to try and cut the chemicals that I use to clean the house with. I used to be very fond of different products and had a cupboard full of different cleaners, sprays and polishes. Then I found this book in the library, I borrowed it so much that I had to send it back and bought my own copy - second hand of course from Amazon.


To clean my kitchen I make up recipe no 684, I put it into my old Ecover "squirtyco" spray bottle and use it to clean all the kitchen surfaces. I buy the white vinegar in this gallon bottle for just £3 from the wholefood store in Manningtree ( http://www.the-wholefoodstore.co.uk/index.htm) I think that this is just as good as anything you can buy, and has just a few basic ingredients. It does need a bit of lavender oil to cover up the vinegar or you end up smelling like a chip shop!!

684 - KITCHEN CLEANING SPRAY
this light spray is great for cleaning kitchen countertops and other surfaces. Vinegar helps to remove the oily film that collects in kitchens and lavender and lemon essential oils are natural antimicrobial.

125 ml (4 fl oz) distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon natural liquid dish washing soap ( I use ecover)
125 ml (4 fl oz) water
1/4 tsp lavender essential oil
1/4 tsp lemon essential oil

combine the ingredients together in a spray bottle, shake well before use

No comments: