Monday 18 October 2010

Lukey has spent some time in the garage with his new mitre saw, making the triangles (roof trusses) for the porch roof, he has come home after visits to "Screwfix" with a bag of metal plates and other triangle bits- "to hold it all together". This was all screwed together on top of the blocks and became the roof!

On Friday the building inspector called and proclaimed the roof to have passed the inspection and we could "carry on"!! and so this weekend began the job of bricking up the triangle at the front, this is quite tricky as the blocks have to be cut to the angles of the roof and fill in the gap- almost there!
This evening I also ordered the door, after weeks of decisions - what colour door? what colour frame? what colour handle? a knocker? or no knocker? well, no going back now- but you will have to wait and see!!
On Sunday morning we popped up the allotment for a bit and I could wait no longer, I had to dig up a parsnip, I know you are supposed to wait until after a frost, but I couldn't and here it is- my first ever home grown parsnip, I could not believe how big it was- lots more to come, this one was roasted for dinner. I also hope to make some parsnip sherry and wine, but will wait until there has been a good frost for that.
The tomatoes and peppers have all finished now, the plants have gone black and the remaining tomatoes are soft and rotting. I have begun to clear them up, but it takes ages. I am saving the compost, I am going to try and use it again next year, I need to find out what to mix in it to make it good again.

No comments: