Tuesday 18 March 2014

Peas

Just realised that this will be our 5th summer at our allotment. We are just getting the hang of things, sometimes it is successful and others not quite so good!
One thing we love to grow are peas! Frozen ones are fine, but nothing like ones straight from the pod at the allotment.  we usually share the first pod one or two peas each! 
I would like to try and gave a regular supply of peas all summer, so need to sow a new row every few weeks.
I sowed some seeds in guttering in the greenhouse about a month ago by last weekend the plants were about 6 cm tall and time to plant them out. The gutter is great, just dig a shallow trench hold it up and gently shake! The plants sort of slide out and just need firming in! A quick water and hey presto all done. As it is still a bit chilly I covered them with a fleece cloche.
Next step will be to put a net up for the peas to grow up.
One year I saved 5 pounds of pea pods (freezing them as I got them) to make pea pod wine. This year the pods will go on the compost heap!

3 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

We've been growing our own veg for 34 years and we are just about getting the hang of it too! And some years good some not so good. One day we will get it all right!

greenthumb said...

I like the sound of starting your peas off in the gutters.

tlcukjourney said...

Hi there Liz!!!
How are you?? I know you're in your element and completely happy when you're in your garden/allotment, so I'm glad it's warming up for you!
It was so so nice to meet you in person and the next time I'm in London we will have to hook up again! We will need another piece of Emma Bridgewater of course :)
I hope you're having a great week, much love, Tammy xx